A reader asked me today if I had a packing post. Technically I do, but I wrote it before I left and before I knew anything about anything.
So it's basically worthless.
Here's that list, annotated and updated.
- 5 short sleeve shirts -- I think I still have 5, but I want different ones because I'm so bored of them
- 2 tanks -- ditched one, now just have a basic black one
- 1 long sleeve shirt -- I spilled pasta on this in Bolivia and had to ditch it
- 1 wool sweater -- I don't think I actually brought this. I SHOULD HAVE.
- 1 wool cardigan -- SEE ABOVE. I AM COLD.
- 3 jackets -- I only have two now, a thin floral one for hot weather and a black bomber for chilly
- 1 skirt -- still have this, but very much want to replace it
- 1 pair of denim shorts -- ditched. They've never fit right and it's cold in Peru. I'll buy another pair in Europe.
- 1 pair of jeans -- I want to replace these so badly - they don't fit right at all
- 1 pair of tights -- also something I didn't pack and TOTALLY SHOULD HAVE
- 2 jumpsuits -- ditched. They fell apart.
- 2 sundresses (one that's nice enough for going out) -- Still have, but haven't worn them since it's been cold.
- Black combat boots -- ditched, but wore them to death first. MVP packing item. They're just falling apart.
- Bronze oxfords -- reluctantly keeping since I ditched the above
- Rainbow flip flops -- kept, for beaches
- Old (but cute) sandals that I'll either ditch or replace during the year when they fall apart -- keeping until they actually break
- Running shoes -- keeping, duh
- 1 ultralight rain jacket -- MVP, I wear this all the time
- 1 packable down jacket (La Paz, Bolivia is at 12,000 feet elevation - brrrrr) -- ditching after Peru
- 1 zip-up hoodie -- reluctantly keeping because I'm cold
- 7 pairs of socks (a few no-show, one set of Smartwools, one black pair, and some trusty Balegas) -- keeping all of these.
- 10 (probably) pairs of underwear -- I almost wish I packed more.
- 2 sets of PJs (two comfy tees, one pair of PJ pants and one pair of PJ shorts) -- ditched everything except one tee and one pair of PJ pants
- 1 pair of workout capris -- I packed two, why?? Who knows.
- 2 Nike dri-fit workout tops (the best) -- Only needed one.
- 1 sports bra -- keeping.
- 3 necklaces (one that I'll never take off) -- Only packed two. Keeping both: one casual, one dressy.
- 1 set of earrings + 1 ear cuff -- keeping, and I wear them every day
- 2 rings (that I'll never take off) -- see above.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste -- keeping because I'm not a monster
- Dr. Bronner's -- MVP. Keeping.
- Travel sized skincare - cleanser, moisturizer, and maybe a travel sized mask -- I would do terrible things for a face mask right now
- Makeup (which makeup? TBD) -- I'm almost out of everything. Restocking in London.
- Chapstick -- SO necessary
- Travel sized shampoo and conditioner (I'll buy more when we get there) -- Protip: shampoo in South America sucks. Bring a full-sized bottle.
- Simple wipes -- should have brought more of these.
- Nail clippers -- very glad to have them.
- Tweezers -- see above.
- Add: tampons
- 15" Macbook Pro, in a hardshell case -- yep, still have this
- iPhone 6 -- see above
- Bose in-ear noise cancelling earbuds (totally worth the splurge - they're an introvert's dream) -- see above
- Nikon D3200 + 35 mm lens -- see above
- Zoom lens -- want to ditch, but too expensive to ditch
- Kindle Paperwhite -- use it often!
- Chargers -- necessary, I have my in a cable organizer pouch and it's great
- Converters (one universal, one Apple converter set for my computer and phone) -- very useful, but I ditched the universal one and just steal Jeff's
- Backup battery (for my phone) -- I didn't bring this and haven't needed it
- External hard drive -- for peace of mind!
- SIM card ejector tool -- an earring works just fine
- A portable pharmacy (brand names only if I don't know the active ingredients off the top of my head): ibuprofen, dimenhydrinate (motion sickness), doxylamine succinate (for snoozy woozys), Pepto, Immodium, malaria pills. -- glad to have the advil, sleeping pills, stomach meds, and cold meds. The rest is superfluous.
- Tortuga packing cubes -- so helpful for organization
- Pen + travel journal -- it's my thing and I kind of regret that it's my thing
- My ankle brace (you suck, broken tibia) -- super valuable.
- Travel towel -- oddly useful - I use this a lot more than I thought I would
- Neck pillow -- duh, for overnight flights
- Curling iron (a luxury to make me feel more normal) -- yep, glad I brought this
- Collapsible tupperware (maybe) -- didn't pack them and I'm glad I didn't
- My travel spork (hey - it's useful) -- ditched, why the hell did I bring this?
There ya have it. For the stuff I'm going to buy to add to this packing list, see here.
Header image via Unsplash.