I have a goal.
By the time the V3 of the Tortuga comes out (we don't have firm release dates yet, but I have a general time frame), I will be down to a carry-on backpack and a personal item.
Y'all - it's harder than it sounds. Especially for long-term travel.
I've always been a carry-on-only traveler, but I've also never traveled indefinitely. I packed a lot of just-in-case items that have come in handy in South America. Like a wine opener. It was weirdly difficult to find wine openers in Uruguay.
I'll ditch those superfluous things in Europe, where it'll be easier to find ad hoc gear that I need. That part is easy.
My biggest challenge lies in my wardrobe.
I'm sick of my clothes and I miss the ability to dress fashionably. My go-to aesthetic isn't exactly minimalist and I don't love the look of performance gear. I'll never be the girl who wears head-to-toe Arc'teryx and Merrell and Patagonia. I'd far rather wear Free People and Asos and Halogen - but I have to find packable and layerable options from my favorite brands. I want this in my capsule wardrobe, but try stuffing those sleeves under a jacket.
I'm finding the line between fashion and practicality to be particularly challenging.
What I'm missing altogether:
- Tights (regular and fleece-lined)
- A maxi skirt - Lauren Hom has a gorgeous one in an elephant print that I covet on the regular
- Black cigarette pants, or maybe something more stylish like joggers (but ughh they aren't as practical or versatile)
- Dressy shoes (that are packable and comfy) like these in black or these, if my size comes back in stock
- Bodysuit (great for layering under the maxi skirt I don't own)
- Wool cardigan (planning to purchase this one in Dublin)
- A flannel shirt (I had one, but I lost it in Montreal)
- Laptop bag (as a personal item, for more space)
What I have, but want to replace:
- Mini skirt - mine is a print, which isn't as easy to mix and match. I'd love a black or grey one with interesting textures.
- Jeans. I want to switch to high-waisted. You were right about that one, Emily.
- A dress or two. I want one that makes me feel like a badass and is nice enough for dressy occasions. My current options fulfill neither requirement.
- Tops. I need some better layers. But stylish ones, not plain merino v-necks.
- A warm jacket. Mine is not very warm.
My MVP items:
- Jeans (even though they don't fit very well)
- Ankle boots, comfy enough for walking through a city
- Black bomber jacket
- Blanket scarf
- My Marmot Precip rain jacket. I respectfully disagree with my Tortuga colleages who think rain jackets are specialized gear that don't belong in carry-ons. I wear this thing all the time.
Things I need to ditch:
- Half of my workout gear (I don't need as much as I have)
- First aid kit
- A pair of shoes (or two) and replace them with the ones linked above
- Tees - why did I bring so many tees?
- My UNC hoodie (sorry, hoodie)
- Clothes that make me feel bleh
- Superfluous toiletries
- Things that won't fly (get it) through TSA
Oy, this is going to be difficult.
Header image: Hannah Morgan via Unsplash.